Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Blogging in the Bean Fields

As I blog about Bean for the last time this semester I can't help shedding a small tear. When will I ever find a name better than Bean?

As always, I appreciate the good advice we can always count on from Bean. Like Tim, I'm into the discovery draft idea as an early submission during the writing process (221). It seems like such a good idea to force students to start thinking as early as possible. This is true for me as well. So far in grad school I've written better papers when I was forced to hand in a draft early in the writing process. Hectic as this was, it makes things so much easier in the long run, I think. I like the idea of concept maps or idea maps instead of outlines. Personally I'm a fan of outlines but they've got such a stigma that it seems best to have alternative planning devices to offer students.

Bean's section on peer review was interesting but not very helpful, I felt. I like the idea of peer reviews but it's troubling that they so often wind up being a waste of time. A friend of mine revised her peer review process when she discovered the usual routine wasn't working. Instead of having students exchange drafts, she has students grade each other's papers anonymously. They have to grade as if they are the instructor and they use her rubric in order to grade papers. She tells me that this results in a much more substantive exchange of comments and suggestions, and it also helps students understand why they get the grades they do. She hands back the student-graded paper at the same time she hands back the copy she herself has graded. Apparently this is working well, and I think I'll try it in my own class.

3 comments:

Joe Chevalier said...

Claire, this is interesting. How did the instructor grade the peer review?

Darren said...

I think the anonymous grading thing is a great idea. Peer reviews generally suck because students don't really want to be mean in critiquing each other's papers. Anonimity would solve that-- but I think Joe's question is a good one--how do you grade them on peer review if it's anonymous? I suppose you'd have to have some kind of system that would involve them attaching their name to the paper in some way so as to be graded, but in which the name could be removed before being given back to the author. I suppose a piece of notebook paper clipped to the paper would do it.

Unknown said...

Claire (Schmidt), do you know any Felicia in Hungary? I used to be corresponding with a certain Claire Schmidt from Liverpool, and have been eager to find her ever since we lost touch. Please let me know if you are the one I've been seeking or not.. my address is bottika@gmail.com Thanks!