Tuesday, March 13, 2007

body rhetoric

So I also found DeLuca's body rhetoric essay to be fascinating and problematic. I can see Leta's point about the petulant child, though I also agree with DeLuca that the protestors' willingness to risk their safety and even lives for something perceived as "lesser" is extremely moving and eloquent. Is it just what they are defending that encourages viewers to devalue their argument? Is it the environment (no pun intended) in which they protest? I doubt anyone would look at the photograph of the lone man staring down a tank in Tiananmen Square and think "petulant child." (By the way, Leta, I'm not calling you out!)

Regardless, this suggests another paper topic to me- having students find images of the body that create an argument, and analyzing that argument. Kate probably already has this assignment whipped up. Between advertising, photographs, sculpture, etc. there's a lot out there to use and read. And this article would be a both an introduction to the concept and a good example of how to read the body as argument.

4 comments:

Katharine said...

hahaha...actually, no I hadn't come up with something along these lines. I was thinking about tailoring my lesson plan last Thursday to respond to the Nazi march and analyzing the rhetoric of their purportedly non-confrontational march. Not that I could use that lesson plan this fall when the event has long passed, but if some other current event like that happened, either of local or national significance, I would definitely find a way to incorporate it into class.

I did, however, already inntend to change part of my film assignment so students could analyze casting or actors' physical movements/reactions. That's sort of like the body rhetoric DeLuca discusses, only without the potential for activism (because it's "just a movie").

gregory dunne said...

Yes, Joe I agree. There is alot one could do with this. I think that one might want to look at business marketing as a rich arena in which to find many arguements being made with the use of the body. Thing about the money and time invested in coming up with an AD that "says it all."

Leta said...

Joe,
Don't worry; I don't feel like you're "calling me out." I knew my post was going to be controversial to begin with. I am criticizing Gandhi, after all!
I absolutely agree that there are times when bodily argument is appropriate. But the question is, when is it okay and when isn't it? Were all of Gandhi's hunger strikes equally valid? I would say no.

Mrs. Van Til said...

Alright, so let me start by saying that this is only mildly related to the body as argument, per se. However, in my research last week, I came across a book that is, I think, fascinating in its discussion of the body. It is called, The Teacher's Body: Embodiment, Authority, and Identity in the Academy. The text is written by various instructors across multiple disciplines and looks at ways in which teachers' bodies influence classroom dynamics. It is really interesting. I have it checked out from Ellis, but if someone wants to check it out, let me know and I will return it.