Monday, March 12, 2007

Jelly Bean

While I thought Bean had some excellent ideas regarding conferences, I’m still unsure how to structure my own student-teacher meetings. First of all, how long should these conferences be? The sort of help I envision providing—discussing structure, organization, thesis, etc.—seems like the sort of task that requires at least an hour or so. Most of my sessions in the WL for English 1000 papers take the full 50 minutes, a period of time I often feel should be extended to adequately assess the essay’s HOC and sometimes LOC.

Moreover, although I like the idea map and tree diagram provided by Bean (both of which would probably make excellent tools in the WL as well), I’m not sure if these should be introduced at the conference stage. I think that they would be helpful earlier in the writing process, as I plan to hold conferences once students have completed a rough draft. I might integrate one or both of these forms into my lesson plans as a class discussion or small group activity (for example, we’ll read a text/article and analyze its structure by filling out a tree diagram, or create an idea map for an argument or problem we’ve discussed in class or in free writes). I’d then require each student to create an idea map or tree diagram for their own paper, which I might have them bring and workshop in small groups. Requiring an outline would force students to think a little more about structure. Finally, a comparison/analysis of their rough draft and tree diagram (or idea map) would enhance my own understanding of the student’s difficulties and strengths once conference time comes around. I think it would be helpful to see the student’s thought process at all stages of writing.

Does anyone else have any ideas/comments about conferences? Anything you’ve encountered that works well?

5 comments:

Leta said...

I have never had a teacher go through a paper in as much detail with me as we do with our writing lab students. I think that we could provide our students with a lot of help by doing this, but I think we could also really overwhelm ourselves if we try to do this with everyone. To avoid this scenario, a possibility might be to require our students to make an appointment at the writing lab before a scheduled conference. We could then move on from the progress they have already made with their writing lab tutors. Of course, I don't think that they would always need to go to the writing lab before coming to see us in office hours, but this might be a possibility if we have required conferences scheduled.

Joe Chevalier said...

Two alternatives come to mind on conferencing (I'm sure there are more). One system seems to be the week of scheduled conferences, 15-20 minutes per person (or less) and no time to really get into details. The other way is more like the writing lab- but only rewards those students who take the initiative to come in to see the instructor. With a 30-40 minute block you could use Bean's diagrams, and really drill into someone's paper. This is the method I learned as an undergraduate tutor, and it seems to work both for more advanced writers and those who have no clue what they're doing. I go back and forth on this issue- require conferences, see every student for a little bit, and eat a ton of time? or see only those who want help, spend enough time to really help them, and hope the rest can get by with comments on papers?

Katharine said...

Leta said: I have never had a teacher go through a paper in as much detail with me as we do with our writing lab students.

Same here. I had professors pick out one or two words or sentences that I could elaborate on more specifically. I'm willing to bet most of us had LOC issues.

(No substantive comment, I just had to point this out.)

Mrs. Van Til said...

Leta,

One thing that I have found particularly helpful in tutoring, however, is when students come to me after having conferenced with their instructors. I don't need to spend time diagnosing there problems or trying to get them to realize what isn't going well. Rather, they come to me knowing what we need to work on (since their instructors just told them) and we get down to business.

That's a great point. Since I plan to make my students visit the writing lab, I think I will ask them to do so after conferences (even if they've done so before also), since that seems to me to be the best use of our time.

Jenn Wilmot said...

I agree with Bri, some of my best sessions in the WL have occured after students met with their instructors. I do plan having conferences with my students after returning their 1st submission, simply so they can visit the WL and polish their final submission.