Tuesday, March 13, 2007

One-on-One Interactions and Individual Conferencing

One-on-One interactions with students can be tricky, and I think that Curzan and Damour commented on some of the more problematic ones. I've always found it strange when some students are antagonistic and seem to openly show disdain for the class. I usually think something to the effect of "if they really don't like this class, why are they in it?" But, of course, in many cases, it is a requirement for them to take it. That, however, is no excuse for rude behavior. I find that most of the antagonistic students I've had in classes don't seem to realize just how rude their behavior is-- so many students seem to think that because you're standing in front of a group that you're not as likely to notice the behavior of individuals in front of you. That's simply not true-- you see more than you'd like to-- you see every eye-roll, every smirk, and you have to train yourself as a teacher to not let it get to you. One on one with these kinds of students is even trickier. Usually they go into defensive mode--"I don't know why you don't like my writing, I showed this to my high school teacher and they thought it was good" (and I actually have had a student say such a thing to me after turning in a paper that had no thesis statement at all. Inherent in the way they approach you is the problem itself. Instead of thinking that they could possibly have done something wrong, they choose to put the blame on you-- it's your fault that they got a bad grade. I really think that there's not much you can do with these students other than to be able to point out what's wrong with the paper and explain why it got the grade that it deserved. It seems that in most of the tricky situations, it's simply best to have a clear set of rules, a clear set of reasoning to explain why certain actions have certain consequences. Whether it's setting up a clear attendance policy, and making clear that allowed absences should be saved for days when the student really needs it, or making your grading policy clear--"the criteria I gave you said that a paper without a thesis statement will get lower than a C, it's not a matter of whether I like your writing or not, it's a matter of fulfilling the assignment."

I also want to raise some questions about Individual Conferencing. I wonder how much class time we are allowed to use for one round of individual conferences. I've seen some instructors only use a week, others two weeks for one round. Two weeks seems to take out a lot of class time, but allows for a longer conference time with each student. If you tried to do Individual conferences for just one week, it would require that each conference be only ten minutes long, and would still require the use of office hours as well in order to fit in 20 students. If done over two weeks, the conference times could be fifteen minutes, but, again, that takes out another week of "teaching" time. Students would love to have all that time out of class, but it doesn't quite seem right. A part of the problem for me is that I would want the conferences to be a true learning situation, done more indirectively like a writing lab tutorial, but if you only have 10 minutes, the time would need to be more directive--"I'm just going to quickly explain the notes I made on this draft, and tell you exactly what you need to do to get a better grade on the next submission." I would like to incorporate conferences into my class, but am wondering what works best.

4 comments:

Claire Schmidt said...

You've raised a lot of concerns that I've been thinking about since I read the chapter. What are some strategies for preventing student rudeness before it starts? How can you diffuse antagonism before it takes a hold? What, realistically, are the University expectations for student conference time? Can we really take two weeks off from class to do conferences? That seems like a lot, yet meeting individually with so many students (especially if conferences are mandatory) seems quite time consuming (and essential). I appreciate that you've shared your experiences and strategies.

Rebecca said...

Like Claire and Darren, I too was wondering about these same ideas. I plan to do a lot of housekeeping on the first day, hoping to keep anger throughout the course of the semester to a minimum. Also, I don't want to sacrifice too much class time for conferences since I feel that the group interaction and tackling of material is so essential to the course as well. How do you dedicate time to both without short-changing the one-on-one conferences. I want them to be very beneficial.

Leta said...

As for keeping student rudeness to a minimum, I don't have any real answers. But I do remember from classes that I had as an undergrad that some classes had much more student rudeness than others, and I don't think it was the subject matter that was the problem. It seems to me that the classes where the teacher was respected/liked/seen as authoritative had the fewest problems. How to acheive this is, of course, the question... I think being seen as authoritative may be difficult for us, since we are humble graduate students. :)

Mrs. Van Til said...

Pshaw, speak for yourself, Leta. You may be a humble graduate student, but I am Graduate Instructor, hear me roar!

Just kidding.

Sort of. :-)

--Bri