Monday, March 5, 2007

"Contact Zones" & "Globalization"

I thought the article from Starkweather and Smith regarding the use of “contact zones” was helpful. It gave me some ideas as to how I might deepen the discussions – and ultimately the writing of arguments – in class. I think my topic area, “Globalization,” would do well to be investigated from a variety of perspectives. It lends itself naturally to this sort of examination because globalization is, in fact, a complex subject. I realize now that there is some considerable danger in reducing the subject’s complexity to a simple pro and con argument. I understand this more fully as a result of reading this article. Now, I am thinking why not encourage the students to examine the “contact zones?” (“those social spaces where cultures meet, clash and grapple with each other, often in contexts of highly asymmetrical relations of power.” ) In truth, from just a general interest point of view, it would seem much more interesting to explore the subject
by incorporating these contact zones.

I was initially thinking of having my students read a long article on the pros/cons of globalization and then asking them use the reading to help them develop their arguments from that reading (opinions of optimism or pessimism with regard to the influence of globalization on humankind). I think I will still use that article, but I realize now that there is much more I can offer them.

I am thinking to investigate “contact zones” more thoroughly by way of film, chapters in books, and other sources that will present the students with a wide range of views involving the positions of different governments, corporations, non-governmental organizations, and so forth. I would like to develop a way, as outlined in the article, of analyzing the argument that are made by speakers/writers from these different contact zones. I am not sure yet what each formal assignment will contain precisely, but I am thinking that I would like to build the students’ awareness of the arguments being made in the different zones during the first two or three assignments. The a final formal assignment would ask the students to take into account all that they have read throughout the course on the subject of globalization and argue a position. Perhaps, as the article points out, the students will, as a result of this, become more critical readers and writers, and thus more able to write beyond the simple pro/con argument and write arguments “rooted in moderate ground,” contingent and provisional.

2 comments:

Leta said...

I like your idea of urging your students to move beyond clearcut pros and cons on the issue of globalization. I find this topic fascinating, but it also seems to me that every "pro" has a matching "con" (and vice versa, of course). For example, CAFTA (the Central American Free Trade Agreement) was an issue of a lot of debate in Guatemala last year. It was argued that it would bring more commerce to Guatemala, but the counterargument was that the benefit would all go to the top 3% or so of the population. Of course, the counterargument to that was that it would have a trickle-down effect, etc.

In a way, I wonder if arguing pro/con on the issue of globalization might be too big; it seems impossible not to oversimplify. But, on the other hand, addressing this issue as a whole might be more do-able and give your students a broader perspective than just arguing about specific examples (like CAFTA). Either way, I think it's a fascinating topic.

Darren said...

I think that with any assignment we give, we should be challenging student's assumptions about certain topics. It's hard to know what those assumptions are without starting somewhere, and I think the activity Gregory did last Thursday is a great way to begin looking at globalization, by simply getting the students to express the attitudes and opinions they already have. Once the assumptions are "out there", they can then be challenged by having the students look at the topic in a more focused way, which is where the contact points come in. I certainly agree that contact points will help to look at a more complex issue more closely, but I also think there is a value to looking at the overall topic in a pro/con way as well, especially if, in the process of going from general to specific, we teach the students to become better thinkers.