Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Activities for paper

So I've got two activities for the paper assignment (Poetry Analysis).

I recognize that many students will not have worked extensively with reading poetry, and may find it intimidating even if they have. So the goal of both activities is to increase comfort level and experience with poetry analysis. The first assignment calls for them to read and summarize an essay on reading a poem- the one I've chosen is actually called "Reading a Poem," chapter 1 from _An Introduction to Poetry_, by X.J. Kennedy. It's a good intro for someone who has little experience with poetry, and also discusses the difference between topic and theme, and the difference between personal opinion and plausible interpretation. So it presents a good model for the sort of reading I'll want the students to employ. Reading it and writing a summary out of class should provide them with a base for in-class discussion of the essay, and leads in to the next activity.

Second is in-class practice of poetry analysis- and lots of it! Mostly with freewriting + discussion, although after 2 days of practice I'll have them do one for small points and hand it in, so I can check on those who don't participate as much. All this would prep them for the kind of close analysis I'd expect in the paper.

1 comment:

Liz said...

I too am forcing poetry upon my students and I REALLY like your first assignment! Requiring a summary is an excellent way to help students truly comprehend and remember the concepts. I've considered using Mary Oliver's _A Poetry Handbook_ as a required text, but it doesn't really have a good introduction/section on reading a poem. It's a great, easy-to-follow guide to poetic terms and techniques, but I've been looking for some supplemental material. I may check out the essay you’re using . . .
I've also been planning on lots of in-class poetry analysis, using freewrites and discussion. I'm hoping that informal activities will make poetry appear less terrifying to freshmen. Many younger students seem to think of poetry as something necessarily confusing/sappy/boring, which it can be of course, but I hope to show the lighter, more interesting side as well.