Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Creative Logic

Though I disagree with some of the philosophical underpinnings of the Fahnestock and Secor article, I found their treatment of the role of critical logic to be quite accurate. They assert, "As readers we push at arguments, testing the expressed and articulating the submerged assumptions of fact, definition, or value in order to accept or reject them. That is what it means to be sensitive to language in argument: to be aware of facts that are assumed significant, to notice definitions that might be slippery or inadequate, to pick out values that might be implicit in word choice and metaphor" (62). These "reading" skills are equally "writing" skills, since we are both the writers and readers of our own thoughts. Sensitivity to issues of word choice, definition, and figurative language are requisite, not only for critique, but also for composition (because composition is nothing if not continual self-critique). These are some of the reasons that I am unwilling to consider logic as somehow separate from the sphere of essay writing -- as if the two were separable.

Therefore, I hold to the notion that logic (in an abbreviated form) should be introduced in any class that claims to deal with "composition and exposition." Though it's alway possible that my theoretical conclusions will be falsified by my actual experience -- in which case it would be only logical to adjust them accordingly.

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

Tim, I completely agree that some idea of logic needs to be introduced to students because they need to know how to support a thesis and if the thesis is even arguable. I think my major concern, especially after reading so many variations of the subject, is what to introduce and how much of it. Hopefully we can figure out the right balance before next semester.

Leta said...

I'm with you, too. I guess the problem for me is that, as I build or analyze an argument, I don't think in terms of a model of logic. I (more or less)understand the models of logic, but they don't just naturally form a (conscious) part of my analytical process. So I wonder about how to get students to think logically, with or without explicitly thinking about a specific model.