Saturday, February 10, 2007

Drafting an EN1000 Paper

I decided to be a bit ambitious and begin drafting my paper on Friday morning. However, I learned that it is very difficult to begin an essay for which the assignment is still formulating in the brain. I feel that there is still much to be revised on my assignment sheet and rubric, which makes writing the draft very difficult. I know that is the point of the paper, of course, but I was still surprised at how many holes and uncertainties were present. I felt as if every thesis statement was generic or boring. Now I remember how freshmen feel (although I still feel this way for every seminar paper). However, I expected this assignment to be "easier" since the expectations are different, or are they? As an over-achiever, I have the same expectation for every assignment, and looking over my rubric again while thinking of unspoken assumptions I realized I assume all students should want to make the "A."

I guess what I still struggle with, even after teaching, is realizing that some students are perfectly happy with a "C" or even a "D" as long as they pass. I structure my assignments and rubrics around the hope of an "A" which makes me wonder if my wording is a bit harsh or advanced. Should a "C" sound like so much of a lesser paper. I know I don't feel as if I can write my own "A" paper with all of my other responsibilities, so should I really make it sound like the most important accomplishment on the rubric since the students also have many responsibilities? I assume students have a lot of time to work on a draft and understand some literary terms such as "transition" and "parallel structure." I think in my class I will first go over some important concepts so that students can easily decipher my expectations.

4 comments:

Katharine said...

Rebecca,

I was surprised to meet students in the WL last semester who got help on a paper, ended up with a C, and came back because "I did so well the last time because I came here, I thought I would come again."

On the holistic part of my rubric, I tried to word things in such a way that it didn't sound like the papers were "less," just needed more work. Which...yeah, I know that sort of translates to "less," but I did try!

Katharine said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Leta said...

The idea of students being content with a C is also difficult for me to grasp. Actually, the idea that the average grades we assign will be close to a C is particularly tough. I guess my problem is that I have trouble seeing a C as 'acceptable'; I want my students to go beyond the requirements for a C paper. Or perhaps I just need to make my requirements for a C paper higher; I don't really know.

Joe Chevalier said...

This is the struggle with a required class- many students will calculate the minimum work required for that passing grade, and aim only that high. Which is one of the reasons the 2.8 GPA range seems feasible despite its incomprehensibility to people like us, who actually enjoy writing.