Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Remarks

Before I respond to the readings for this week, I must exclaim how much I enjoyed the Bean reading for this week. Though sometimes the text can seem a thin, and overtly obvious in its commentary, overall I find it to be rather helpful… It articulates and answers the smaller (though important) aspects I keep finding myself having questions about. Enough with my rambling…
As outlined in Chapter 14, HOC’s and LOC’s I think are aspects that should be discussed early (if not the first class) with students so everyone is on the same page. Detailing these aspects, whether verbally or on in the syllabus, decreases the room for misinterpretation. Honestly while reading this chapter it made the task of creating my grading criteria easier. His focus on positive commenting as opposed to having a more stringent tone when marking papers was refreshing. I always hated receiving papers that had little to no commentary on it because I felt that I was right where I began when submitting my early drafts. And finally, though grammatical errors can be annoying to read, and can sometimes distract you from grasping the main ideas; I do not plan to have a huge emphasis on this aspect because spell check, a dictionary, and their writer’s handbook can help them to resolve those issues. (Plus I’ve always been a horrible speller so I can feel their pain!)

No comments: