Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Poooooems!

Like Joe, my first assignment involves poetry, something that seems to befuddle or just bore many freshmen. I never really care much for poetry when I was younger either, so I’m hoping to offer students some new approaches to poetry. Bean’s detailed list of different lessons offered a lot of fresh, exciting ways to teach poetry in the classroom. As I mentioned in my comments to Joe’s post, I plan on incorporating a lot of in-class poetry analysis through freewrites and discussion. I want to make sure students are comfortable speaking of and writing about poetry before diving into the first paper assignment. While I’m sure some more standard freewrites requiring summaries/explanations of certain terms will be helpful (i.e. “Consider the following lines from Bob Smith’s his poem, ‘Spaghetti Rocks My Socks Off’: ‘I love noodles / that are like ferrets / roaming the ocean floor and eating bananas’. Define and explain what poetry devices are used in these lines”. The real example, of course, will be much better!). I think some of the other lessons, however, could be stimulating and maybe even (gasp!) fun. For example, while the Data-Provided Assignments are geared toward the sciences, it could be fruitful to apply this to poetry. I could provide a sort of Mad Libs type exercise that required students to string together a poem from the word/phrase bank provided (this would be the data). The students would have to identify, when piecing the poem together, each poetic device. Sharing the poems aloud in class would not only solidify the concepts, but would also be pretty funny. I’ll probably have them write a poem of their own as well, utilizing a certain number of poetic devices which they would identify and explain in a separate summary. The fist lessons Bean describes, those that link course concepts to a student’s personal experience or previously existing knowledge, might be a useful tool to introduce poetry. I’d like students, for an out-of-class assignment (perhaps the first piece of homework) to find examples of poetic terms or devices in the everyday world, whether it be in a commercial, scrawled on a bathroom stall, contained in a restaurant menu, etc.

4 comments:

Irina Avkhimovich said...

It is a good assignment especially if it promises to engage students into lively discussion. There is more logic in poetry than most people think, and this fact itself can be taught as well. Only this kind of activity depends upon the instructor. As for me, I cannot imagine I would feel myself comfortable in leading the discussion on a poem with the aim to teach argumentation. It is so easy for me to fall to endless discussing of multiple patterns of a poem and of how everyone sees it.

Anyway, it is a creative activity. There should be extra points for optional writing poems or someting like that.

Jenn Wilmot said...

I love your assignments! Also as another student that didn’t really care for or appreciate poetry, I think your assignments are fresh, exciting, and engaging. Can I visit class when you assign them?

Tim Hayes said...

I think the ferrets are a metonym . . . for much larger ferrets.

Tim Hayes said...

I'm also thinking about incorporating poetry analysis and play into the course. I want to keep bringing in different works with themes that are related to White Noise, so that my otherwise self-indulgent digressions will have some relevance. Right now, I'm thinking that I'll spend one class (or most of one class) talking about two poems: "Spring and All" by William Carlos Williams and "May Deaths" by Dean Young. Aside from being wonderful, both poems touch on issues of life/death and concealed/unconcealed that seem relevant to the novel. Anyway, if you're interested, here are the poems:

Spring and All

By the road to the contagious hopsital
under the surge of the blue
mottled clouds driven from the
northeast – a cold wind. Beyond, the
waste of broad, muddy fields
brown with dried weeds, standing and fallen

patches of standing water
the scattering of tall trees

All along the road the reddish
purplish, forked, upstanding, twiggy
stuff of bushes and small trees
with dead, brown leaves under them
leafless vines –

Lifeless in appearance, sluggish
dazed spring approaches –

They enter the new world naked,
cold, uncertain of all
save that they enter. All about them
the cold, familiar wind –

Now the grass, tomorrow
the stiff curl of wildcarrot leaf
One by one objects are defined –
It quickens: clarity, outline of leaf

But now the stark dignity of
entrance – Still, the profound change
has come upn them: rooted, they
grip down and begin to awaken


May Deaths

Two were in their 70s, that’s not so old!
One in her 30s, it had just stopped being cold
and the birds and trees were stirring.
Two I wished to know better,
one I knew enough, he said
Glad to meet you the 20 times we met,
wouldn’t wear a hearing aid so his part
in conversation was him talking waiting then talking more,
there was no other part.
But I liked his darkness, funny
as those photos of prisoners in cellblocks
wearing plush animal costumes.
Big bunny in solitary.
The youngest shocked us craching
a Cessna into tall pine trees then not
meeting her classes the rest of the semester.
I met her younger sister.
How are you we said dumbly but undeadly.
One came back with a stomachache from Italy,
one’s throat stayed sore all year.
Horrible to make a tally,
so much to fear, maybe too much to bother with,
funerals on the sides of hot hills,
it seems the pall bearers will stumble,
their polished shoes streaded with clay.
A memorial, his new books on a table,
ending with a Chopin nocturne,
momentarily we’re floating
like needles on water.