Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Some summary

At this point, I've got a basic reading assignment for each paper, either to provide a framework for thinking about the assignment or to form part of the assignment itself. For the poetry paper, it's that X.J. Kennedy essay. I had planned just to have students write a summary, but I'm wondering if that will be as effective as I'd like at helping students extract value from the reading. So, maybe a kind of directed summary, where I ask them to look for certain types of things- method for reading, terms, what he considers important, as well as a response: how they think they can apply his ideas. The second activity around the reading would be in-class discussion of the essay, followed by a practice reading in which we use his method.

Also, one of the texts I'm reviewing (Writing Analytically) has some great stuff on _reading_ analytically as well- multiple methods for effective reading, with a variety of texts as examples. I'm hoping this will help them find a method or two that works for them.

I also like the small group discussion/large group report technique, though the key seems to be to provide adequate direction for the small groups. If the questions are too easy, the discussion ends quickly; too complex, and it might never get off the ground.

No comments: