Thursday, February 22, 2007

Rogerian Argument

Rogerian argument does seem appropriate to teach. I think that it is important for students to understand that knowing their “opponents” point of view does seem to be one of the best ways to counter it. I would possibly utilize Rogerian argument for an in-class writing assignment, however I don’t think I would put much emphasis on it.
Rogerian argument immediate struck me as having invaluable assets to verbal argumentation, specifically debate, and persuasive writing. Though my last comment seems a little off, I’ll try to clean it up… For my class assignments I don’t want a student to sell me on their point of view, I simply want them to be able to articulate it and support it, whereas I think the Rogerian argument seeks to sell a non-believer something. Having a basic understanding of Rogerian argument seems that it would be best helpful (at least in the ways in which I want my class to go) in the brainstorming and early writing stages to help students identify the holes in their argument where “opponents” would be able to monopolize.

1 comment:

Joe Chevalier said...

Although to have a successful Rogerian argument, you still need to articulate and support your own position, as well as articulating and supporting your opposition's argument- which could lead to a much more complex and considered argument.