Thursday, February 8, 2007

Grading rubrics

I was working upon grading rubrics for my first assignment. It does not seem to be very hard “in theory”. I realize that when you start using this frame to actual students’ writings it does not appear to be easy. Are students supposed to know our grading rubrics in detail or do we make them only for ourselves as instructors?

Maybe it makes sense to let students know general directions of our approach to grading and point out the most important things in their working with their drafts and final submissions. On the other hand, I prefer analytical grading but I am not sure if I would give students all numbers of points for each rubric because in this case students may concern too much on counting points instead of quality of ideas and arguments.

No comments: