Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Paper vs Poem

While I participated in few essay workshops as an undergraduate, I did sit through many weekly poetry workshops. While formal essay obviously has different parameters than a poem, I feel my experiences could still be helpful when designing workshops for English 1000.

The paper workshops were overall pretty useless; most of the students offered little or no comments about the major concerns of the paper (i.e. a strong thesis, organization, etc). If I did receive extensive comments, they were usually pretty worthless or flat-out laughable. Interactions with fellow group members were pretty uncomfortable and stilted as well. Occasionally a great group would form that was actually productive, but that was definitely an exception to the rule. The workshops seemed designed, more than anything, to fill up class time, or at least that was the general attitude of the students. No one seemed invested in anyone else’s paper. I too exhibited this sort of apathetic approach at times, especially when the papers I read were quite obviously not trying to very hard to address the assignment, or were just plain boring. Even when I was genuinely interest in improving a classmate’s paper, the awkward silences were enough to keep my mouth shut.

Poetry workshops, however, were radically different. After the obligatory, get-to-know-you introductions, class discussions became lively and engaging. Most everyone contributed at least one comment (usually more) and seemed sincerely concerned with the poet’s progression. Although there were always certain classmates who offered more insightful critiques, I actually read the comments provided by each student (while I was more inclined to just throw away comments on my essays).

The success of the poetry workshops depended in large part, I think, on the atmosphere. Sitting in a circle, the open forum for discussion, and my instructor’s warmth made everyone feel more comfortable. We were also required to exchange poems a week in advance, and then provide a typed copy of our comments to both the instructor and poet the following week. These comments were not graded, though they did factor into our participation grade. While there is an element of playfulness that just comes with the creative writing territory, I think these tactics will be important in English 1000. Curzan and Damour suggest providing guidelines, which I think would make a good class discussion, i.e. what makes a good paper AND what makes a good workshop (a tactic also suggested by Bean). I hope that this will help foster a sense of solidarity and good will in my classroom, something I hope to begin implementing from the day one. I think exchanging papers in advance and requiring typed comments (that are not for a letter grade) is a great way to stimulate analysis in advance, so students arrive at class with something to discuss.

3 comments:

Joe Chevalier said...

Liz,
this is a good comparison- I think you'vee got some great ideas here. I've also done a fair amount of poetry workshop, and I agree that they're usually much more invested in real critique. I found the workshops also improved as they reduced in size- which may seem self-evident, but also provides another example for workshopping in 1000. My idea is to break the class into smaller workshop groups, have the drafts passed out in advance as you mention, and then have the small groups meet. Over a semester, they should improve as they get more comfortable with each other. It doesn't translate exactly, and there are of course other ways to adapt, but I think you're exactly right in looking for ways to apply the success of poetry workshopping.

Darren said...

I like the idea of students having papers in advance of the peer review, so that, allegedly, their comments would be better thought out. It might be a good idea to have them type out comments for the papers they review so that you could give them points for taking the time to carefully consider their peer's paper. That being said, the sad thing about peer reviews is that as the semester goes on, fewer students bother to participate, and if they do, they turn in a marginal draft at best. Perhaps putting more of an emphasis on the value of the peer review by having them pass out papers in advance would help; or it may just complicate matters--
I certainly agree that it's important to try to make peer review feel like more than just busy work to fill class time.

Claire Schmidt said...

I'm fascinated by the different peer review scenarios you described. Do you think part of the engagement in poetry workshops stems from the committment students had to the class? I mean, are poetry workshops for poetry students, or do you get a wide variety of student interest in the class? It's such a bummer that there's such a big difference between paper workshops and poetry workshops. I want to know how this can be changed.