Sunday, February 18, 2007

First Assignment

As you all will see on Thursday (since I decided to go ahead and volunteer for the lesson plan presentation), I plan to use a variety of the ideas in the Bean chapters we read. For one, I agree with the observations about the room and how where you sit/stand and where students are placed influences the discussion and interaction of the class. I never sit my students in rows because I feel it encourages some to "skate by" or "disappear" as they hide behind their peers. So, I will keep you all in the circle of course. I will use a combination of lecture and guiding questions to spark discussion because I feel that it is important for students to be a part of the class. I also like the idea of writing after the lesson to help solidify ideas or present questions about unclear material. I plan, tentatively, to use this idea as well. These ideas are not exactly new to me, but it is a good reinforcement of the techniques I am used to using, which gives me greater confidence in this transition to the college classroom.

Just to include a summary of the activity (I don't have the entire thing planned as of yet), I plan to write a statement on the board about artifacts and then conduct a brainstorming session considering what artifacts are and how language (written and oral) may fit in with the definition. Then I plan to lead a discussion of the various types of literature and media which affect "our" definition of America and the character of America and then do a bit of reflective writing. This is a very brief sketch as of now, but I would welcome any comments or suggestions or questions. Have a great week everyone!

No comments: