Thursday, February 22, 2007

What do you know?

I had no idea when I wrote my Paper 1 assignment that I was using Rogerian theory. The assignment, oft-discussed, is for students to argue against thier own positions on given controversial topics (abortion, gay marriage, excess taxation, etc). As I mentioned in response to Katie, I've considered giving students a chance to flip back to their previous or new position, given how their research has changed their opinions. I hesitate to do that, however, because I think that it will place less emphasis on growth of the paper/writing than on the shift of opinion. Instead, I think that I will give them a chance to freewrite, either in class or out of class, about their new opinions.

3 comments:

Liz said...

I thought your first assignment was a great one, even before reading all about the fun of Rogerian theory. I've been struggling to devise an assignment that would implement Rogerian theory, but thus far have come up with nothing, or at least nothing very exciting. Do you have any other ideas for using the Rogerian model in your papers?

Joe Chevalier said...

Also Rogerian argument is a good way to make it more interesting for the student; even if they argue against their own position, they at least get to state their own case (as the opposition argument within the paper), and it might lead to more than just a "fake" argument.

Mrs. Van Til said...

Liz,

I've thought about having them stage mock trials, debates, or conversations. If each student were to write a dialogue in which one person argues a point and then another counters it equivocally, I think that would force them into some Rogerian-esque awareness of other opinions.

You could even have them do this in a poem if you wanted to. Or, to be silly, you could ask them to write a dialogue between two people that rhymes. Ex:

Bob: I think Rogers' argument is compelling.
George: I don't know, it's just not selling.
Bob: His point is clear, though, and interesting.
George: But it's convoluted and I'm not sure it's the best thing.
Bob: It will help them clarify their positions.
George: But it's likely to blur their missions.

That seems like the sort of thing you would like!

--Bri