Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Another Visual Argument

Here is my visual argument. I think there is noting complicated about it. Our world is so complex that even the simplest words are connected with various cultural associations. I often feel overwhelmed with the amount of information we have to deal with. Visual arguments seem to express exactly this type of thinking.

There are some questions concerning this kind of arguments. Can any or almost any image be read as a visual argument?

My another interest is the connection between textual and visual modes. Images are very often accompanied with texts. So visual argument is inclusive because it unites different types of messages while text is homogenic. How important are alphabetic texts as a part of visual argumentation? It seems like eventually we cannot get away from them.

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

Irina, I really like how you expressed the question of whether or not every visual image can be read as an argument. I think I agree with you that every image has cultural and verbal connections which make the possibility of interpretating it differently very real. It is a good way of looking at visual images I think.

Donna said...

Ah, Irina! Cats! You've found my weakness!

And I agree with Irina's comment about all images having an argumentative dimension and Rebecca's gloss on that.