Saturday, April 28, 2007

Belated Textbook Reviews

Rebecca Richardson
EN 8010
Textbook Reviews
Sorry these are so delayed. I completely forgot to post them. Thanks for your understanding you guys. I am also sorry the first one is so long.

Writing in a Visual Age
by Lee Odell and Susan Katz
Bedford/St. Martins

This book is designed to aid students with reading visual texts as well as incorporating their own visuals into their assignments. Because of this claim, I was very excited to review this textbook. However, I was not overly impressed with the textbook itself once I perused it. At first glance, it seems very promising. The layout is colorful (although there seems to be no coding system behind the use of color) and provides many visual examples. The sections are clearly organized from the chapters themselves to the supplemental sections.
Throughout each chapter, a similar format is followed. They explain the topic thoroughly, give examples, and then outline the assignment. The prose has a natural, easy flow and a causal voice, which I think makes it reader friendly. Plus, the vocabulary/diction is well-rounded and strong. Content of each chapter is interesting and varied as well, with chapters on subjects such as profiles, position papers, and research. Also included are a glossary, an index, a quick reference menu, and a contents listing. These sections are very well organized, providing useful information. I especially like the honesty of the contents sections which implicitly emphasizes that one does not have to cover all sections in a single course. Plus, Bedford publishing usually has the option of customizing a textbook, printing only those chapters which an instructor will need for his/her course.
However, despite the positive layout, the overall content leaves much to be desired. In their effort to be visually appealing and contemporary, the designers have gone overboard, bombarding the reader with too many visuals, creating distraction and confusion. I even felt overwhelmed and unable to focus as I read through the book. Another negative for this book is the fact that the assignment section of each chapter is so long and detailed, students are guided through every possible step with so much information that the assignment is practically done for them, teaching them essentially nothing. The questions are leading instead of thought-provoking which does not allow critical thinking to develop. Also, the steps which are glossed over are usually the vital steps about computer programs, even information as to which programs should be used. I feel this neglect assumes too much technological knowledge on the part of both the students and the instructors. In fact, the only chapter I found to be completely useful for an EN 1000 course is chapter 9: Research. It provides much useful and detailed information. However, one chapter does not justify the cost of nearly $70.
I did, however, enjoy the supplements included with the textbook: CD Rom and Handbook. The handbook is well-organized and can be packaged with the textbook for only an additional cost of $2.60. Unfortunately, the packaging would force students to buy only the new text instead of procuring less expensive used copies. The CD Rom can be included at no additional cost. It is extremely user friendly and interesting, but I am not sure how useful it would prove for classroom use. I do not plan to implement this textbook.

Ancient Rhetoric for Contemporary Students
by Sharon Crowley and Debra Hawhee
Longman Publishing

I honestly looked forward to this textbook. Its title intrigued me, implying a modern approach to very complicated ideas. As a high school teacher, I often included basic rhetoric in my course when explaining persuasive arguments to my juniors. They always had a bit of trouble understanding logical terminology. Unfortunately, when this textbook arrived, I realized it would not serve my purposes.
To begin with, the textbook is extremely large and packed with mostly text. Visually, this type of book is intimidating to students who immediately conclude they will never be able to get through all this information. Plus, the assignments included within are not very creative or stimulating. All of this is unfortunate, though, since the text itself reads very smoothly. It really does explain the complicated rhetorical terminology competently. I found it to be a wealth of information and plan to use the information in lecture in order to help my students better understand the concept of argument. Perhaps this book would prove useful for an advanced class, but not an EN 1000 course.
Overall, as an average student, I would not want or use this textbook. As an instructor, I would utilize its explanations for myself in order to prepare for student questions about the subject of argument.

No comments: