Thursday, April 5, 2007

Yo! MTV CMaps

This is hopelessly late--I worked on it all during the "Reaching the Digital Native" conference that I'm gonna finish posting about soon (it'll appear below--back on Tuesday when most of the post was written). In the meantime, here's my rough Cmap. I'm gonna revise it again and again (in this space). I'm using a "scaffolding" approach for it, trying to show how the there are connections to be made horizontally--within each assignment--and vertically between assignments. I'm trying to figure out how to add more detail (assignment descriptions, how they build on each other) without cluttering it too much. Generally speaking, I think concept maps are an excellent way to see the connections between pretty much anything (all those heterogenous ideas that are violently yoked together). Donna has had us do concept maps for two reading discussions that we lead in 8040 and I have to say that I think it's been a productive experience, both in terms of formulating my own ideas about texts and encouraging active discussion at the seminar table each week. I've already thought about incorporating concept maps as a pre-writing or brainstroming exercise.


1 comment:

Mrs. Van Til said...

Court,

Can I be like you when I grow up?

Seriously, your concept map kicks ass.

--Bri