Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Teaching as Performance

I liked Curzan and Damour’s parts about teaching persona. Having little experience of teaching I already thought about it but did not fully realize that teaching as a kind of acting is actually the general situation for any instructor. C&D say, “Your teaching persona may turn out to be an unexpected side of you” (6). Or may not, I would add. I mean you never know in advance how it is going to turn out. And I think with different classes one may be a little different teacher.

This chapter also brought me recollections about the good teachers I had. It is absolutely necessary for a good teacher to be enthusiastic. The problem here may be that you are more enthusiastic about some material of your course than about other, and you have to deal with that. Another thing I remember about good instructors is their …energy, I would say, that lets one person hold the attention of 20 or more other persons.

I found the idea of getting feedback during the semester very useful. It establishes contact with students. I myself as a student always appreciate that.



No comments: