Tuesday, April 10, 2007

:-) ? (/) :-|

That is my visual argument.

Seriously though, like many of you, I am hesitant to take the plunge into the visual. I consider myself to be both familiar and comfortable with technology. I consider the visual to be an important and intriguing thing to study. I just don't think that creating a visual argument should stand in for an alphabetic one. My reasoning is simple (and perhaps arcane). Like others, I think that unequal access to technology and unequal artistic ability in students will account for much more disparity in grades than they should. Like others, I think that allowing a visual argument to stand in place of an alphabetic one does a disservice to students who are using English 1000 to prepare them to write in their writing intensive classes. But, furthermore, I also think that what makes visual arguments so intriguing is the very thing that makes them insufficient academic arguments. Namely, they are open to interpretation in a way that English 1000 papers shouldn't be. For example, Tim's awesome piece could be read in multiple ways beyond his own intention. It could be that the red symbolizes passion and that he is in love with Hillary Clinton but that she is terrified of being in love with him and has broken his heart. The mere fact that it can be open to such diverse interpretations suggests to me that it shouldn't be a goal for our students.

That said, I think that a visual argument is a fascinating analogy to literature itself. It is a thing to be enjoyed, interpreted, and analyzed in multiple ways with no single interpretation being "right," while some may be more likely or better supported.

I plan to have my students analyze and compare/contrast an alphabetic text with a film for their second formal paper. I also plan to have them analyze an advertisement for an informal paper (or two maybe) and discuss the inherent arguments in tangible objects (à la Darren). Like Jenn, I think that visual argument could work well in conjunction with a formal paper, so I might do that, depending on time constraints. If I ever get an opportunity to teach an advanced composition class, however, I think that composing a visual argument would be an intriguing exercise.

6 comments:

Leta said...

I love your analysis of Tim's argument!

Claire Schmidt said...

I, too, was convinved that Tim loves Hillary Clinton.

Tim Hayes said...

With a burning and slightly embarrassing passion . . .

Uno said...

By showing students how open to interpretation visual texts are, could instructors help students learn to see alphabetic texts as equally open to interpretation?

Mrs. Van Til said...

I think that the parallels between alphabetic literary interpretation and visual interpretation are intriguing. Ideally, however, students' argumentative papers will not be open to interpretation. I do like the idea of using visual argument as a segway to discussing subjectivity in literature, however.

Donna said...

I'm curious why arguments should be unambiguous. Is language ever? (I was raised up to believe in deconstruction. So maybe it's jusst me.)