Thursday, April 12, 2007

Theory and Practice

First of all, I would like to apologize for joining the conversation late. I am presently out of town, traveling. Sorry.

I would like ot say that I have been enjoying the readings in this text - they have given me a lot to think about. I have found all of the readings to be challenging in many different ways. I also feel they have broaded my understanding of what the teaching of compositon may involve in this rapidly evolving world of technology. In this latest read - Opening New Media to Writing - I was struck by the entire discussion on "the materiality of writing." This was a rich and varied discussion on how writing technologies are impacting writing and the teaching of writing.

I see much of this discussion as theoretical. And I don't mean this in a derogatory way. I think it is enriching to come to an appreciate of much of what is taken up in this essay. And i believe that this will ultimately enrich my teaching in the classroom. I understand some of the theory has practical and immediate application in the classroom if one is inclined that way. (I think many of you have already spoken on this in your blogs, especially those commenting specifically on using visual arguments. ) I feel, however, that I would use much of what was put forward here sparinglingly in class. I might, for example, use visual arguments in order to engage my students' interests in the topic of argumentation. I think the visual would grab there attention and allow them to get into the topic more easily.

Based on my own experience of teaching freshman composition in the past, I expect my students to have a lot of difficulty in generating fluency in their writing and in being able to put together a persuasive argument. At this time, I feel that the students might be best served by being taught how to write argumentatively at length before going on to work in the composing of visual arguments, boxes, and writings incorporating hypertext. This said, I am intrigued by the readings and the discussions we hare having. I feel I am considering all of it and may yet change my mind with encorporating some of what this text is suggesting.

No comments: