Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Need a Visual?

I haven't had a chance to read all of your posts in depth yet, but from what I skimmed it seems as though many of you have similar reservations about the visual argument assignment. I think it is a good idea to challenge a student's way of thinking, asking them to expand on types of knowledge they already recognize, but I am not completely sure how to incorporate this whole idea into a composition classroom.
On trying the assignment myself, I found the ideas to be challenging and intriguing, making me think on a different level. I actually was not sure what my visual argument would be without any words. I feel that I need them and the visual could enhance my argument, but not stand as the whole argument itself. I felt it left too much open to interpretation, which would diminish its effectiveness. It was like what I believe Tim mentioned when we pondered "Body Argument." Would the head sticking out of the ground be effective to everyone without any kind of written explanation. I feel this is true for today's assignment as well.
I am also skeptical of spending at least a week on the activity. Like I said, I feel it could really encourage a lot of critical thinking, but I am not sure it would be enough of a reason to use an entire week or more of a composition class on the assignment. Maybe I am not looking at the argument for using visual argument in the correct light. Any suggestions?

1 comment:

Liz said...

The length of the assignment is one of my concerns as well. While I think it's necessary for students to have an adequate introduction to the idea of visual argument, I wonder if it's the most constructive use of time in an English 1000 classroom. For the purposes of the course, I'm more inclined to shorten or amend the assignment in some way, or use it in a different English class. I want to make sure my students can construct a decent written argument before they jump to anything else.