Monday, April 30, 2007

Balancing the Madness

I think Chapter 10 of Curzan and Damour, as usual, provides some valuable practical advice for surviving the first year of teaching. I plan to use this summer extensively for the "frontloading" that they suggest. I'm going to read and re-read White Noise, immerse myself in The World is a Text, and polish my syllabus and class notes to an uncanny shine. I think I may even try to get a good deal of my handouts copied and filed before the semester ever begins. I feel that if I go into the semester with organized materials and a really clear idea of what I'm trying to do, then I will succeed (in not making a fool of myself, and wasting my students' time).

I also appreciated the fact that Curzan and Damour took the stigma off "sharing the burden." Personally, I plan to use a lot of activities that will shift the focus away from me as awkward spectacle and towards the group as interactive community. And if I can find anyone foolhardy enough to volunteer as a guest speaker, then I guarantee I will take him/her up on it. Diversity is conducive to learning, and, besides, I can guarantee there will be weeks that I just don't want to lecture for an hour straight. Actually, I hope to very rarely (if ever) rely on the traditional, marathon-lecture format for my classes. Such a structure seems both overly taxing and likely to induce rampant snoring.

4 comments:

Leta said...

I'm with you 100% on avoiding lecture as much as possible. I think students will learn more and be more engaged when they are more responsible for the classroom activities. And, honestly, who wants to sit for an hour and listen to a lecture on how to write?

Katharine said...

Tim & Leta,

Um, who *doesn't* want to sit for an hour and listen to a lecture? hehe...

I know how lame this is going to sound, but we are sort of all huge dorks... can we have strategy exchange and syllabus parties this summer? I seriously think I've picked up some of the best ideas of what exercises I want to use just by stealing all you folks' great ideas. You have no idea how much fun this would be. I feed off others' enthusiasm.

Leta said...

Oh, goody! Syllabus parties!

Katharine said...

(hangs head in shame)

Man... when even Leta is making fun of me, I know I've done wrong :)