Sunday, April 22, 2007

No butt wiggling from now on...

In accordance with the rest of the blog, this week’s readings did offer some great and rather practical advice, such as the proper way to erase the board. I appreciate the section on maintaining perspective because I already feel that I’m going to be obsessing over if my students got the most that I wanted them to get out of class. Call it self-consciousness, but I can see this becoming a reality for me. Hopefully after the first week I’ll let go and just let it flow… we’ll see.
On another note, the issue of (my) race, class and gender has been on my mind throughout this entire process, and making sure that these aspects don’t become a distraction while I attempt to teach them. I feel like I’ve stated this before on the blog, but I think that C & D offered practical solutions if you aren’t teaching a course surrounding r,c and g but if you are… where does that leave you?
The only solution I’ve reached thus far is emphasizing immediately a learning space that is more like a community. Everyone is entitled to their 1st amendment right as long as they articulate themselves well and have the facts to back up their argument. Any other suggestions let me know ☺

1 comment:

Donna said...

I also think emphasizing that everyone can speak from her or his own experiences--to try to get at what's underneath opinions. One of the things I've learned from mediation training (as part of the "Difficult Dialogues" workshops I've been doing this semester) is to ask questions--to ask why certain things are important, what's at stake in taking a certain stance, etc.