Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Blogging and Johnson-Eilola

http://people.clarkson.edu/~johndan/workspace/

The above is to Johndan Johnson-Eilola's blog, in case anyone is interested. I was both frustrated and elated by the essay and wanted to know more about the person who wrote it. I applied activity #1 (in part) to Johnson-Eilola's blog and I was interested to see that, though Johnson-Eilola interacts with many blogs, there is little to no reader presence on his blog. No comments, no posting, etc. I think people like me probably read his site because I was familiar wtih and appreciate of some of his music blogs, comic blogs, and political commentary. But I can't figure out who (if anyone) actually reads it, because I couldn't find any reader interaction. Which seems weird.

I went through (of course) assignment 3, because who doesn't love googling themselves? I found a bunch of stuff from previous jobs, particularly when I worked as an activist years ago, some hate mail from letters to the editor I wrote, the class blog, the EGSA page, etc. Like Leta, I have no presence on the internet, save from my work. On Google I had
1,570,000 hits. There are a lot of me, it turns out. When I worked as an environmentalist I did a lot of media relations work, so had to google myself often to track the success of press releases, etc. There seem to be more of me now than there were five years ago. Now there's a highschool/college basketball star, and a choir member at Cornell.

I'm afraid that I don't entirely see the value of this assignment. I agree that it helps to demonstrate how demographic groups are constructed on the internet, which is amazingly disturbing, but on the other hand it feels kind of self-indulgent.

As far as blogging in my classroom goes, I am not inclined to do it. I could probably be convinced otherwise, but I, like Bri, am more attracted to Blackboard. And really, is there that much difference? What can you do with a class blog that you can't do with blackboard? (I'm asking in all sincerity because I don't know enough about either to make an educated choice, I think.) I'm currently taking 4 classes that have web-based components. For me, it's easier to manage all of my web-based homework/responsibilities if they%

2 comments:

Claire Schmidt said...

I don't know where the end of my post went. I had another two paragraphs but they've disappeared. Must've goofed something up.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that I find it easier to stay on top of all my web-based homework when it's all in one place. This may be lame. I dunno.

In addition, I wanted to say that I appreciated many things in Johnson-Eilola's article but I did not come away with a good understanding of how we're going to start to privelage different kinds of writing. That's all.

Unknown said...

My typical line is that my work is read by seven grad students and my dad.

(Partially, though, the marginal response may be due to the fact that my school keeps making me shut down the comment features due to the servers being overload by spambots hitting the comment scripts. And I shut down an earlier weblog, which had a slightly higher level of comment/discussion, in November last year and didn't start work/space until a few months ago. But I'll still stick with my first explanation, for the most part.)

- Johndan