Monday, April 23, 2007

Unsolicited Advice

I really enjoyed the readings this week, especially since they reiterated a lot of points I have been afraid I've forgotten in the past two years. My biggest fear for next year is that I have forgotten how to teach since I have been out of the classroom for two years. I needed the quick and reassuring overview offered in these chapters. Many of their observations and advice are helpful. The biggest aspect that I highlighted is about the copying. It never fails that the copier in any building anywhere will not work if you wait until the last minute. It is Murphy's law! I also agree with them about remembering student names. I was constantly called by my sister's name through elementary, middle, and high school. Nothing is more frustrating than that! I made a point when teaching high school to never make that mistake (I only did once, which isn't bad for 6 years). But, seriously, it is important to the students to be remembered, especially since this campus is so large and our classes will be so small. I think Bri's idea of using facebook may be very helpful in this respect, especially if you have trouble with names.

Another point with which I agree is the value of student feedback. It really diminishes your authority, in my opinion, if you are unwilling to listen to student concerns and adapt class as necessary. They feel that you are honest and caring if you are willing to budge a little. However, I am not saying that you should be a push-over, only aware of needs. And, like Leta, I want to stress the importance of the fact that you CANNOT PLEASE EVERYONE!! I really struggled with this fact the first couple of years. I had to flunk a senior, who did not graduate ever then (I was not the only one though). Sometimes, students do not make changes and sometimes they do take their own failures out on you. You have to grow some thicker skin and learn to distinguish honest criticism from the angry hate mail. It is hard to deal with, but a necessary fact of teaching. I had a student complain that I had only 5 or 6 dressy outfits. Oh well. I was poor. I just played along and said I would wear them in the same order every week. I don't necessarily suggest sarcasm in every instance. I knew she would react well because I had taught her for two years (junior, senior English). Kids try to make you feel bad, but you can't let them.

Anyway, now that I have rambled advice for a while, I should move on. Basically, I agree with much that C and D had to say. Student feedback is essential and beneficial, dress is important (no matter how many outfits you own), gender plays a role in your classroom even if you don't want it to, and copying must be done in advance!!!! However, I also think it is easy to become overwhelmed the first year or so. They really didn't discuss this aspect and I want to stress relying on your peers. There is not a feeling you will have that they will not either share or understand.

1 comment:

Leta said...

I must confess that names are something I struggle with, and I'm not sure that even facebook will help. I honestly sometimes call my best friends by the wrong names--not because I don't know who they are. Maybe it's genetic; my mom called my brother by the dog's name once. :) But you're right that calling students by their correct names is really important; I just need to figure out how to make sure I do that all the time.