Monday, April 23, 2007

Heavy Meta

I agree with Katie, anything that starts with "meta" is bound to be fun. I like the idea of a midterm survey; I think Bean mentioned that teachers who use these usually get better results on final evaluations. The midterm conference also is appealing, though I'm resistant to requiring conferences for all students. I think the meta examples foster a sense of collaborative learning- that the students are contributing to the course, that we are teaching with them instead of just at them.

As far as classroom as argument goes: I wonder what argument I'll present in my class? I don't plan to dress too formally (one reason I'm pursuing this career is the dream of never wearing a suit to work). I do plan to present a serious front at the beginning of the course, then slowly break out the Homer Simpson impressions. I think I'll add some levity to the syllabus (pictures, font variation?, streamline some of the legalese). One thing I want to consider seriously is classroom organization. Many of the students who sit in the back row will be those who will refuse to engage with the course, and will sullenly and silently receive their D. The circle formation is inimical to blackboard/projector presentation, but keeps students from hiding in the back. Any thoughts? Also from my management days at the bookstore I understand the importance of projecting authority even when you don't necessarily feel it; preparation is key here. I think I'll probably review class plans this summer if not before, to get some more sennse of what preparation I'll need.

P.S. I blame George Lucas for this - but I can't hear the word "mindful" without immediately hearing the phrase "of the living force" following it, as spoken by Liam Neeson.

No comments: