Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Argumentation

I have chosen to think of argumentation very broadly. Rather than, for example, selections with a clear thesis and supporting points, I have chosen pieces that persuade us (or attempt to persuade us) to rethink ourselves, our positions, our community, our values, etc. I know I'm showing my cards, so to speak, a little early, but I'm going to do it anyway. Warning: spoilers below!

The first is a very classic piece by Zora Neale Hurston entitled, "How It Feels to Be Colored Me" that explores, through self-reflection and memoir, what being African-American means to her. In it, Hurston asserts her independence as an individual and describes her first awareness of being "colored." Her tone is rather light throughout and she inserts humor, yet it seems throughout that she is deathly serious; she will not be defined by others. One great quote from the short essay is, "Sometimes, I feel discriminated against, but it does not make me angry. It merely astonishes me. How can any deny themselves the pleasure of my company? It is beyond me." Anyone interested in the piece can access it here: http://beatl.barnard.columbia.edu/wsharpe/citylit/colored_me.htm but obviously I will bring a copy to class Thursday.

The other text I've selected is a highly humorous but also startlingly jarring look at the irrationality of religious faith. It is entitled, "Kissing Hank's Ass" and was written by Jed Huber and was widely circulated in the late '90s. It is a parody that consists solely of dialogue between an unnamed character ("me") and two missionaries trying to get him to agree to "kiss Hank's ass" with them. While I doubt that this text alone ever convinced anyone to do anything per se, it, again, encourages readers to step outside of their assumptions and question their own beliefs. You can read the text here:http://www.jhuger.com/kisshank.php

--Bri

1 comment:

Jenn Wilmot said...

Specifically speaking to topics revolving around cultural instances, especially the cultures of the “minority” or “the other” as we often refer to in theory—how do we begin to persuade each other that we are worth learning about? Rather why should we even have to persuade one another that it’s worth learning about? (Sorry slight tangent!) You’ve chosen two great pieces to discuss!