Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Variety within assignments

Another problem I'm thinking about. I'd like to use a modified workshop format, with a week set aside for each paper cycle to do small-group peer review (6 or 7 depending on class size). Within that group, I'd like to reduce the chance for plagiarism (intentional or unintentional) by providing assignments with sufficient range of variety that I can guarantee no two students in a workshop group will have the same topic. This isn't always easy, especially when I want to use a movie for the paper- can't always get 7 different movies that accomplish the same goal! One possible solution is to use this as the two-source paper and have a variety of critical articles for students to use as a lens to examine the film(s) in question. While the articles will need to be similar, they won't be identical, and I should have some variety built in there. Or I could poll the class for movie ideas for the assignment I have in mind...

Joe

No comments: