Monday, January 22, 2007

Textbooks

Hi all--
I promised to offer a list of suggested textbooks to review. I'm still working on my own personal list, but, in the meantime, have a look at the one compiled by Jeff Rice at Wayne State:

1. Internet Invention - Greg Ulmer (Longman)
2. Writing About Cool - Jeff Rice (Longman)
3. Literacy, Technology, and Society: Confronting the Issues - Gail Hawisher and Cynthia Selfe (Prentice)
. City Life - Richard Marback and Patrick Bruch (Longman)
5. Picturing Texts - Cynthia Selfe, Lester Faigley, Diane George, and Anna Palchik (Norton)
6. Seeing & Writing 2 (or 3) - Donald and Christine McQuade (Bedford)
7. Convergences - Robert Atwan (Bedford)
8. Writing in a Visual Age - Lee Odell and Susan Katz (Bedford)
9. The World is a Text: Writing, Reading and Thinking about Culture - Jonathan Silverman and Dean Rader (Prentice Hall)
10. Everything's an Argument - Andrea Lunsford and John Ruszkiewicz (Bedford)
11. Textbook - Greg Ulmer, Robert Scholes, Nancy Comley (Bedford)
12. CyberReader - Victor Vitanza (Longman)
13. Good Reasons with Contemporary Arguments - Lester Faigley and Jack Selzer (Longman)
14. Ancient Rhetorics for Contemporary Students - Sharon Crowley and Debra Hawhee (Longman)
15. Envision: Persuasive Writing in a Visual World - Christine Alfano and Alyssa O'Brien (Longman)
16. Remix – Catherine Latterell (Bedford)
17. Beyond Words: Reading and Writing in a Visual Age - Ruszkiewicz | Anderson | Friend (Longman)
18. Compose, Design, Advocate – Dennis Lynch and Anne Wysocki (Longman)

A few of these texts might be more readers than rhetorics, and I would prefer that you choose books that are primarily rhetorics. But a quick look at the publishers website should help you to make the distinction.

And I'll continue to work on adding to this list of his. You should feel free to do your own research, too.

One caveat: try to avoid "modes based" rhetorics. These are rhetorics that teach students to write in traditional modes (definition, narration, argument, etc.). As Rhoda Flaxman at Brown University explains,

The problem with teaching writing by utilizing rhetorical modes is that they tend to be taught as empty forms into which students should fit their ideas, rather than emerging organically from the subject at hand. In addition, often teachers neglect to explain that most skilled writers understand that many rhetorical modes can be used in the same piece of writing.


Questions? Ask them here or email me.

Update: I've crossed out texts above that seem more "reader" than "rhetoric" to me. If you would like to use a reader, you might take a look at the ones listed (and crossed out). Here are a few other rhetorics to consider:

Alexander and Barber, Argument Now (Longman)

Ramage, Bean, and Johnson, The Allyn and Bacon Guide to Writing (Longman)

Ramage, Bean, and Johnson, Writing Arguments (Longman)

Palmquist, Designing Writing (Bedford)

Post a comment here to claim any of the textbooks listed here. Email me (if you haven't already) to ask about a textbook not listed here. Thanks!

12 comments:

Joe Chevalier said...

I put this in a blog entry, but now I see this is the right place to do it. I'd like to claim Everything Is an Argument. Another I'd like to review is Writing Analytically, by Rosenwasser and Stephen, though it's not on the list yet!

Liz said...

I would like to review the following:

+The World is a Text: Writing, Reading and Thinking about Culture - Jonathan Silverman and Dean Rader (Prentice Hall)

+ Alexander and Barber, Argument Now (Longman)

Thanks!

Leta said...

I'd like to claim the _St Martin's Guide to Writing_ and _The Norton Field Guide to Writing with Readings_.

Katharine said...

I'm staking my claim on Envision: Persuasive Writing in a Visual World by Alfano & O'Brien. I also put in a request at Norton for a book called Successful Writing by Maxine Hairston & Michael Keene (even though this was not on the list, it looked intriguing).

-ktz

Mrs. Van Til said...

At the risk of being a copy cat, I'm going to take Everything's an Arugment and Writing in the Works by Susan Blau and Kathryn Burak.

Tim Hayes said...

I would like to look at:

1.) The World is a Text: Writing, Reading and Thinking about Culture

and

2.) Alexander and Barber, Argument Now

Darren said...

I noticed that some people were putting their textbook claims on the normal blog, and some as a comment here. I thought I would do both.

I will claim the following Textbooks:
Ancient Rhetorics for Contemporary Students--Sharon Crowley and Debra Hawhee
Envision: Persuasive Writing in a Visual World--Christine Alfano and Alyssa O'Brien

Court said...

I would like to claim two books that *may* or *may not* be considered rhetorics--I know that they both have been used in English 20/1000 before: _Style: Ten Lessons in Clarity and Grace_ by Joseph M. Wiliams and _Sin and Syntax_ by Constance Hale.

I plan to pillage about ten different readers that I own (and which any one who is interested may borrow) for my reading assingments--I figure that way I can put them on eres and students can print them off for a lot cheaper than what a reader will cost.

Court said...

Addendum: I'm taking _Writing About Cool_ by Jeff Rice and I'll come up with a second rhetoric soon. I'm going to go peruse the English 1000 shelves at the Bookstore after class.

Claire Schmidt said...

I will take Palmquist, "Designing Writing" if it's still available.

Court said...

If no one has claimed _Reading Culture: Contexts for Critical Reading and Writing_, then I'd like to claim (so I can raid it for public domain and fair use material to put on eRes).

Anonymous said...

In this era of web 2.0, we easily get nice & updated information for research purposes... I'd definitely appreciate the work of the said blog owner... Thanks!
................................

writing a term paper-Essay Writing Help