Wednesday, January 24, 2007

"Borrowing" Assignments, etc

I've started wondering exactly how plagarism, intellectual property, and sharing/borrowing teaching materials interact. When does "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" turn into plagarism? If we hear about a neat assignment idea from a friend of a friend, can we use it? As teachers, what will our responsibilities be, as far as citation, permission, etc, goes?

While working on my syllabus, I've used lots of other syllabi as a guide. If I borrow a pleasing style of formatting, is that plagarism? If I borrow subheadings (or even put someone else's subheading concepts into my own words) is that plagarism? I know our assignment is informal (for now) but it's made me think about teaching materials very differently and now I'm all uncomfortable.

On an entirely different note, after reading the Bean I'm feeling excited about making my English 1000 class less English-y. I mean, I truly love English, and reading, and writing, and I wouldn't be here if I didn't, but obviously everyone has different compulsions. I'm excited about free-writing assignments that could bring together really disparate ideas. I wonder if its doable to start off every class period with a 5 minute free-writing exercise that is handed in and read (and thusly counts for attendence) but not really graded?

3 comments:

Irina Avkhimovich said...

I have the same feelings about using materials composed by others.
Concerning syllabi it is probably normal that they almost repeat each other. Every one just has to use standard frames.

It is more complicated with the assignments though. Looking at the brilliant samples helps as much as creates new problems. It seems I can not invent something better or at least equally good. I wish there were many samples in a book or on a site. I wonder if something like this exists.

Darren said...

I agree-- it's difficult to throw plagiarism accusations at someone who has a similar syllabus, since syllabi, though the areas of course description could vary depending on the nature of the course, and so an instructor should be aware of where their content is simply shared by another instructor's syllabus, and where they may have stolen another's idea.

Having said that, I wonder really what the ethical concerns are. If one teacher sees that another teacher has come up with a great assigment, and wants to use it as well, at what point is it really stealing? Should the instructor have to tell the class "I got this idea from________"?

Uno said...

Claire’s words about plagiarism are meaningful. Is there some type of "fair use" understanding here? Can the formatting of a syllabus or even an assignment idea be used if one "cites the source?" And if one needs permission to borrow, how willing are professors and other instructors to share? What are the necessary steps that one should take to get permission to borrow, if permission is required?