Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Details, Details, Details

In response to designing the syllabus, I must say there are some simple aspects of teaching that I’ve often overlooked. Specifically speaking, I think that the dozens of syllabi I’ve had, I’ve often taken the details of it for granted. It was only as I sat down to write my draft that I realized how important it is to be detailed. Things such as a breakdown of grades, classroom etiquette, and of course the instructor’s teaching policy, are all obvious things, but honestly I never realized (or appreciated) the time and effort put into creating a loaded syllabus that does serve as a true contract between the instructor and student. With all that said, chapter 2 in Curzan and Damour has helped me to wake up, as well as curbed some of the fears I initially wrote about in class last week.

Also, and interestingly enough, as a person that really doesn’t like icebreakers (though I completely understand their importance), the sample icebreaker (the interview) in Chapter 2 seems simple (and painless). As a future instructor I’m constantly thinking of ways in which to make my classroom an enjoyable learning environment and the regular ‘go around and introduce yourself’ icebreaker simply won’t suffice. However, introducing a partner seems to be a better alternative, especially to address, recognize, and appreciate diversity amongst the group.

No comments: