Tuesday, January 23, 2007

More paper design challenges

A challenge for me (for most of us?) is to design papers that don't look like English major assignments. That's what I know, so they would be easier to do, but I'd also like to give the students a broader range- to keep their interest, and to increase applicability for the range of majors coming through. I'm liking film analysis, history analysis, media analysis...what other ways can we stretch ourselves and the students?

The other big challenge is building process into the assignments. The first/second submission format works well, but seems incomplete as far as really developing an idea from scratch. Exploratory writing building into early drafts looks interesting to me.

Oh, also I want to claim my review texts early: Everything's an Argument (Lunsford/Ruskiewicz) and Writing Analytically (Rosenwasser/Stephen).

Joe (up too late)

1 comment:

Jenn Wilmot said...

Once again I respond to a post without really a solution, but to simply express my resonating concerns. Designing these paper assignments have been extremely difficult because I would like to broaden my assignments beyond strict assignments that would appeal more to an English major. I would like to incorporate cultural studies and I’m having difficulty finding a unique, interesting—yet extremely informative angle.
In response to the various submissions, and with my WL experience I’ve found that with the first paper, three submissions really helped the students and reducing the amount of submissions to two for the remainder papers were fine. Initially I think students need a little more time with the first paper basically to work out the kinks, creating a solid thesis, etc. and by the second paper they should have the hang of it.