Thursday, January 25, 2007

Icebreakers: Part Three

After reading the sample icebreaker in Curzan and Damour, and participating in my own round of icebreakers these first week of classes, I’ve been thinking of the introduction process. While I can now, at 24, introduce myself reasonably well, it was much different a shy and awkward 18 year old. My icebreaker experience has been a traumatic one, filled with uncomfortable silences and stupid utterances on my part. In fact, I dreaded those very situations as an undergraduate. So, as a graduate instructor, I have to wonder—do I really want to subject my students to the same pain?

The answer is (surprisingly), YES! But I have to question the nature of that impulse; I’m unsure if it stems from a desire to break down barriers between students, follow normal classroom procedure, or merely sadistically subject them to the same awkward pain I suffered. I certainly want make sure that the students are acquainted with each other, but I’d really like to move away from the average scenario posed by Curzan and Damour. Like Jenn, I’d like to try something that is more enjoyable. Not only will a fun activity prove more effective, but I think it will even help my nerves in the classroom. I expect to be nervous the first day, so I'd like to do something that will make me laugh and ease my own fears. Do any of you have any ideas or suggestions?

Another issue related to class discussion/participation is the student workshop. I feel that the fundamental relationship between students (initiated by the icebreaker) will really come into play when they read their peers’ work. In the Writing Lab, I’ve seen some peer reviewed essays that are thoughtless and even rude. I would like to foster a sense of respect and dedication between my students, but am unsure how to enact this. Also, I’ve seen some suggestions by student reviewers that are absolutely awful, suggestions that their classmate unfortunately follow. Do you guys have any ideas that might produce thoughtful and relatively helpful/accurate critiques from students?

3 comments:

Darren said...

I agree that student introductions are both awkward but necessary in order to build rapport. I don't like them, but understand the necessity for them. Certainly it seems to be the first step to making for a more positive peer review environment. As far as keeping students from being rude, it seems that a disclaimer before every peer review session could help, reminding them to make their comments constructive. Also, you can make comments on their comments letting them know when they've crossed that line. However, since peer review sheets tend to go to the person writing the paper, you might need to make a copy for the reviewer to look at. Otherwise, I think, regrettably, that some students are going to be rude no matter what, and there's only so much you can do about it.

Katharine said...

Liz,

I went to a short lecture on student peer review sessions last semester. I think one of the best ideas then was to have 6-7 people peer reviewed for each paper, and take a week for it.

The reviewed would bring in copies for the class without his/her name, the teacher would distribute them, reviewers would take them home and make comments, and these comments would be discussed in class. I think that if you're there when the other students are making these comments, perhaps the comments will be more productive because you can coach them not just to say "this is dumb" or "this is awesome."

Claire Schmidt said...

Icebreakers make my skin crawl to this day. I agree that they're important and essential. I want to know why they're so painful, why so many people dread them, and whether it's possible to have an icebreaker that doesn't make half the room break into a cold sweat.