Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Grades

As an undergrad I never appreciated the grading rubrics I received, I often discarded them—or shoved them away until the end of the semester (interesting how karma has returned to me). I am not familiar with the common point system Mizzou utilizes, for in my undergrad there were only letter grades and percentiles. However, I find that developing an analytical scale, as described in Bean most appealing. I believe that with an initial class to delineate exactly what is expected for each paper (well constructed topic sentences, a strong thesis, etc.), in addition to providing students with examples of each along with their handbook, that an analytical scale can be appropriate… As far as holistic scales are concerned, if I can stay away from them I would prefer to :) .

1 comment:

Tim Hayes said...

I share your distrust of "holistic" grading methods. It seems to me that analytical methods of grading (if they are done correctly) allow the student to see SPECIFICALLY which parts of the essay were stronger and which weaker. If I were a freshman trying to improve my writing skills, it seems to me that a "holistic" response like "A score of 4 means 'good but not excellent'" would be of no use whatsoever.