Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Curzan & Damour=useful

Last night I read the second chapter of the Curzan and Damour. I was immediately struck by the sheer volume of specific, useful information. I particularly appreciated the suggestions for easy name memorization, and for structuring the first day of class. I'd never considered that it might be beneficial to hold a full-length class the first day, but it makes a lot of sense. It's kind of like ripping off a band-aid quickly, rather than slowly. I like the idea that a full first day will help students acclimate more quickly. I like a short first day as much as the next person, but I think the book is probably right.

I was a little troubled by some of the discussion of racial and cultural issues. I appreciate the upfront way that the authors describe how race/culture power dynamics can, and will, affect classroom dynamics. I'm just not sure if (on page 18, last paragraph) it's equally problematic to ignore racial and cultural issues or make them an explicit issue. I'd be curious to see what others think on this point.

On page 17, the authors say, "Be sure that men and women are equal participants in class discussions; if they are not, consider possible reasons for this and make the necessary changes." This seems to be a really common-sense suggestion. By making us, the instructors, see that it is our responsibility to adjust gender dynamics, I think it gives us the opportunity to see that it IS possible to make changes. I'm hoping that the book will give some suggestions, because I'd appreciate some more discussion about adjusting power dynamics. Or maybe others have thoughts?

No comments: