Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Curzan and Damour

I was relieved to find that much of what is expected in the college classroom is the same as the expectations for a high school teacher. As I read, I felt like I was receiving a very valuable refresher course. I did have a few questions, though, and would like to know what others thought. Mostly I found the idea of introducing myself interesting since it mentions the option of having students call you by your first name. I might be from an older tradition since I think this might be a bit too informal and serve to undermine my authority. I still have some difficulty calling graduate professors by their first names because of respect. Does using one's first name diminish respect?

My other question deals with the racial and gender issues. I, like Claire, wonder if it is better to face these questions head on or side-step them altogether. I taught in a small, rural school with only white students. I am not sure how confident I feel concerning the issue of race/cultural differences in the classroom. I would hope at this level, people would leave differences/prejudices outside the classroom, but what does the instructor do if it becomes confrontational in the classroom? I have never experienced an instance where it was a blatant problem even when I was in school in St. Charles.

Also, I wonder if gender of the instructor is an issue anymore. When I first graduated with my BA I was warned about the problems concerning respect and ability to show authority as a woman, but I never encountered any problems from the students. Is the problem possibly with other instructors or others in authoritative roles? I had much more difficulty with older women teachers and my principal than with students. How do we deal with those gender issues?

Anyway, this is my first blog ever so I hope it goes well and makes sense. And for Katie, Go Colts!

6 comments:

Mrs. Van Til said...

Rebecca,

I have thought a lot about names in the past several months. I have a weird thing about it, honestly. While in community college, I called most all of my instructors by their first names, whereas at Wash U, I called them all by their last names.

I do not think that it necessarily diminishes respect to address somebody by their first name, but I feel that in a formal situation like this, it is the role of the instructor to give (or choose not to give) permission to be called by his or her first name. So, for example, I call Dr. Heringman by his last name because he has never invited me to do otherwise, whereas Elaine has.

As for me, I much prefer to be called by my first name (especially given that my last name is so often mispronounced). I am not concerned about my students not respecting me just because they call me by my first name. I hope, rather, that it will prompt them to be more open with and less intimidated by me.

--Bri

Katharine said...

Rebecca,

Like Bri, I think I would feel strange not to allow my students to call me by my first name. This could be because of my last name ("Mizz Zuh-zuh-zuh... Mizzimolzak?" Awful!) It's a decision that I want to be less difficult than it seems.

Also, I've found a weird paradox in establishing titles with my own professors. It has always been a respect issue to me as well, but it also involves approachability. Sometimes I lose respect for a professor who insists that I call him/her "Dr. [X]." It seems almost like s/he is using the title as a crutch for some insecurity, and trying to establish a power division that clearly already exists — s/he is in the front, I'm in a seat.

On the other hand, with the professors who have suggested that I can call them by their first names, I find that I feel more comfortable approaching them. This helps me build a better rapport with them, which then leads me to respect them because I understand them better.

-KZ

Leta said...

Rebecca,

I've also been thinking about what I want my students to call me. I think that I will ask them to call me Ms. Reppert. I realize that this is a completely different setting than my previous teaching experience (middle school in Guatemala), but I think that here, too, using my last name will help to establish a respectful distance between myself and the students, especially because I look younger than I am. And, unlike Katie and Bri, I figure I have about as good of a chance of the students pronouncing my last name correctly as of pronouncing my first name correctly. :)

When I taught in Guatemala, I had to deal with racial issues in the classroom. Guatemala is a very race-conscious country, and I had one very racist sixth grader who made innappropriate racial comments in the classroom. Looking back, I think I could have handled the situation better. I think the best thing to do is to address the situation immediately, making it perfectly clear that such comments are unacceptable. Then I think it's important to make your supervisor aware of the situation as soon as possible so that they can give guidance about what to do next.

Tim Hayes said...

I'm currently leaning towards giving the students an option: either Mr. Hayes or Tim. It seems to me that those students who feel uncomfortable with one manner of address should not be forced into using it. I think I'll be confident enough (being quite tall and looming at the front of the room) to avoid reinscribing the already explicit power structure of an English 1000 course.

Mrs. Van Til said...

Tim,

Along those lines, several of us had our first class with Devoney Looser yesterday. I loved her introduction. She said, "My first name is Devoney; my last name is Looser. You are welcome to call me by whichever you prefer. However, I would ask that whichever you choose that you please pronounce it correctly." It was humorous.

I'd thought of saying something similar to that before, but I really liked her phraseology.

--Bri

Joe Chevalier said...

I also really like the practical advice in the Curzan/Damour text- many things you just wouldn't think about otherwise. Naming seems to depend on confidence level - the more confidence/competence one projects, the more appropriate the first name basis might be. Probably easier in a small class. I'd probably prefer Joe until I earn a PhD, and then I'd be tempted to have them call me Dr. J.

On gender/race issues: these may well come up in the course if papers deal with those topics. I know the book chapter refers specifically to instructor/student issues on the first day, but there's a good chance it will come up.

Joe