Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Varying an Assignment

The part of Bean's work that I found most interesting and helpful dealt with varying an assignment in order to emphasize different aspects of writing and critical thinking. I think the results were the most telling since one assignment produced so many different answers. I also thought that the difference between the attitudes of the responses was interesting.

As I read, I thought how beneficial this idea could be when dealing with students who had different learning styles. But, since some of the variants required much more work and time, I wonder how fair this process is even if it is voluntary. Could a teacher give more than one option and still grade fairly? I ran into this trouble with projects in high school. Each option always had various strengths but some were obviously more difficult. I had trouble assigning them the same point value. So, I guess my question is how can we utilize this idea in the classroom or can we at all?

No comments: