Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Arguments

I'm not sure if this should really be a response to other blogs or my own post because it, too, asks the question about what should we consider as arguments for class on Thursday. It is difficult to identify text arguments in the world around us since everything is becoming multi-media. Advertisements are everywhere, but it is difficult to find a persuasive argument in print that has nothing to do with a product. I looked through a few of the editorials and opinions in the Jeff City News Tribune, but I was not thoroughly convinced with many of them simply because they were poorly written. People don't seem to take the time to carefully construct written arguments anymore. They are usually filled with preposterous claims and slanderous gossip.

This realization lead me to question how this all relates to EN1000. How can we explain to students the importance of constructing arguments if they have not ever really seen any convincing or "real" examples in the world around them. I feel the poor editing of many publications these days may be responsible for why students often fail to tie in effective quotes or support opinions. However, maybe I am being a bit too cynical and critical of today's media. It may be better in more urban areas than Jeff City, but I think that is another problem in itself. Are we saying that we expect rural students and audiences to be "backwards"? And, if we (as society) are sending this message, how do we correct it?

I realize I probably rambled a lot, but my main concern is how can we explain the importance of a strong, scholarly argument to students if our society does not seem to be sending the same, consistent message?
Rebecca

2 comments:

Leta said...

Rebecca,

I can definitely see your point about low-quality arguments in the media. I haven't read MU student publications very much, but I know that at KSU the opinion columns tended to be a mixture of assertions without evidence, crude humor, and caricatures of people who disagreed. I think this is less widespread in non-college newspapers, but I agree that it is pretty widespread.

I'm not entirely sure how to combat this. My best guess would be to present the students with examples of good, well-supported writing and to make it clear that that is the type of writing that is expected in our classes.

Katharine said...

Rebecca,

I think this is an excellent point. My initial reaction was that if a student learns to write/argue well, that student will be "smarter" or a "better person," but I think this is a pretty scary value judgment as well. Does it have to be like a contest where some people are "better" than others? I sure can't answer that question....

-ktz