Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Mentor of Pushover?

In reading Bean, I was struck by a quote culled from Meyers on page 8 that states “teachers of critical thinking will often spend much of their class time as ‘referees, coaches, and mentors rather than as lecturers and purveyors of truth . . . For most of us,’ he continues, ‘this is a worthwhile but difficult shift’”. While I’ve been struggling (like many of you seem to be) with what sort of assignments to assign, I’ve also been wondering how, exactly, to run my classroom. One of the most difficult portions of shaping my syllabus has been, in fact, the tone. While I’d like to strike that oh-so-appealing balance of strict yet kind, decisive yet open-minded, I am acutely aware of my own faults—namely, I’m a pushover. I’ve tutored long enough to realize that the obviously false ‘my dog ate my homework’ sorts of excuses often too easily persuade me. I feel a degree of comfort and ease between teacher and student is essential to open discourse, but a degree of distance is still a must. This tension also surfaced when reading the cautionary section on the home/cell phone number on page 20 of _First Day to Final Grade_. While I had initially included my cell phone number on the syllabus (for emergencies only), I removed my number after reading Curzan and Damour.

I’m torn between this a desire to assist my students in whatever way possible and a fear for my own graduate career. My best teachers have been those that acted as Meyers’ description of mentors and coaches; I felt these instructors were always available and excited to assist me. I, however, would never call a professor at 10:00 pm, a courtesy I fear every student will not observe. I’d like to act as the 7-11 of graduate instructors—open and ready to advise 24 hours a day—but my own study demands attention. Where do we draw the line between our role as teachers and our duties as students ourselves? How may be act as approachable coaches and mentors, yet retain authority over our classroom? Any ideas/suggestion?

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

Liz,
I, too, have struggled for a long time as to what is the proper balance. I felt that my second through fifth years of teaching were the most balanced, but I don't know why exactly. My only offering to you is that the first year there will be many mistakes. It does get easier, however, to read a student and know what is truth and what is not.

My last year of teaching, I let my guard down because I knew I was leaving, which was a wrong move on my part. It was hard to get the students motivated. I guess overall, what I found through experience, is that as long as you are enthusiastic and honestly interested in your students' lives, you can still have strict policies that will be respected by them. Make the policy strict and stay firm in it, but be yourself in the classroom so they are relaxed and can understand the need for the strict policy while still enjoying class. I don't know if this is helpful or not, but I hope so.

Jenn Wilmot said...

Liz, why I also have no previous teaching experience, I must forewarn you that with this response I do not provide any answers to your posted question, but rather I wish to express my concerns that resonate with yours. It has just (rather) recently hit me that we are walking a fine, murky line as (soon to be) instructors and students.
I also want to give the attention and time that my current advisors give me, but I honestly believe that some undergrads may not understand the common courtesy factor simply because they’ve probably never been exposed to such a degree of freedom with their instructors. I think exemplifying an honest and multifaceted interest in our students and topics that they will appreciate that, and in return express the same sentiment (or at least I hope). I guess this all I have to say (in addition to some prayers for success), but if you do find the answer to our concerns—please forward them to me.

Leta said...

It didn't take me too long in my middle school classroom to figure out that I, too, am a pushover. I think that, in my case at least, coming across as being excessively strict isn't going to be a problem. I think I'm more likely to err in the opposite direction, so I'm going to try to set a no-nonsense tone from the beginning. My problem teaching was that I tended to assume that my students wouldn't try anything that I wouldn't have tried at their age-- which was a pretty bad assumption! I think that every teacher has to find their own balance, and some people are going to be able to start off by being laid back and not have any problem. I don't think that will be me, though.