Wednesday, January 31, 2007

More logic and rhetoric in class

Well, Irina and Tim stole my thunder a bit. Logic and rhetoric are something I didn't get enough of as an undergraduate, so I'm interested in getting more now, and in passing it along to students as much as I'm able. One of my goals in teaching English 1000 would be to get students to question their assumptions- all part of reading critically. If they can think in terms of logic, and spot holes in the logic of others, that makes their critical reading skills stronger. As Irina says, Aristotle and others use some memorable examples; could we make logic fun? Looking ahead to the following essay ("The Enthymeme as Postmodern Argument Form" - delicious) gives us some timely examples as well.

Joe

1 comment:

Tim Hayes said...

I've found that some of the resources on this website are quite useful and entertaining as well:

http://www.fallacyfiles.org/resource.html

The "Silly Syllogism" generator in particular is pretty fun to use and extremely useful as a thought exercise:

http://www.duniho.com/fergus/sillysyllogisms.html

If I have a smart classroom, I'll probably try to integrate something like this into an early session.